Nail art polishes are plentiful and inexpensive at dollar and discount stores, and I took advantage of that for this pattern. I used a combination of Color Club, L.A. Colors and Kiss brands. The blue base is Color Club Take Me to Your Chateau.
Sunday, July 31, 2011
Wednesday, July 27, 2011
I picked up a silver metallic nail polish at CVS this week (Sally Hansen Celeb City) and I'm loving it—this is the second pattern I used it for. I call this one “Foiled”; it definitely has a “Christmas in July” feel to it which is why I added the purple. The other shades I used are:
- Red: Sally Hansen Hard as Wraps in Heartbeat Crème
- Purple: Art Club Nail Art Lacquer in Orchistra
- Ivory: Sally Hansen Hard as Nails in Platinum
Tuesday, July 26, 2011
I watched several tutorials on YouTube before attempting this myself. As instructed, I stuck with opaque shades and did a few test runs before coming up with a presentable result. I used 3 Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear shades for this pattern which I call Silver Fountain. The shades are Pacific Blue, The Real Teal and Celeb City.
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Sunday, July 17, 2011
Sally Hansen's Antiqued Gold Crackle is gorgeous! I created this look by using it over a striped nail. Here are the shades I used from the bottom up:
- L.A. Colors Art Deco Nail Art Lacquer in Yellow
- Wet N Wild Wild Shine Nail Color in Sunny Side Up
- NYC In a New York Minute Nail Color in Uptown
- Wet N Wild Fast Dry Nail Color in FuschiaRama
- Revlon Top Speed Nail Enamel in Violet
I wanted to create a truly metallic looking golden eye for my Gold Rush Weekend. I tried a lot of different shadows and MAC pigments seemed to be the best product for an intense metallic. I used Visine as a mixing medium. Aryana is wearing a combination of Tan and Pink Bronze, with Teal used as a liner on her top lid.
Friday, July 15, 2011
I created these appliques using wrapping tissue and a Martha Stewart edge punch. The shades I used are Sally Hansen Raspberry Race and Revlon Gold Coin. This is my first attempt at DIY appliques and I'm still perfecting my technique—comments and suggestions welcome!!
To kick off my Gold Rush Weekend, I'm offering a giveaway of a Sephora Mini Eyeliner in the shade Golden Sand, plus a $20 gift card for Sephora.
To enter you must complete one of the following:
- Follow Great Lashing via Google Friend Connect and leave a comment on 2 separate blog posts. If you are already following, simply leave 2 comments.
- Send Jen Monopoli (email@example.com) a friend request on Facebook and, once you've been accepted, share 2 Great Lashing blog posts to your wall. If you're already my friend on FB, simply share 2 posts to your wall.
Once you have completed your entry please notify me via Facebook Message or Gmail.
Terms and Conditions:
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Only legal residents of the US age eighteen (18) or older are eligible to win. No family members or personal friends (you know who you are!) of Jen Monopoli are eligible.
- Deadline to enter is Monday, July 25, 2011 at 11:59 EST.
- A maximum of two (2) entries per person is allowed—one by each method of entry. Comments made to blog posts must be deemed relevant and appropriate by Jen Monopoli.
- Winner will be chosen at random within 48 hours of the close of the contest. Winner will be announced at greatlashing.blogspot.com and notified by Jen Monopoli via Gmail or Facebook message.
- Prize is non-transferable. No substitutions or cash redemptions. Other conditions and restrictions apply.
I put together this nail kit for my niece who's turning seven this week. She's been doing her nails for years and she's quite the expert, so no toy sets for her—I bought her the real thing including three shades of Crackle which is her current passion. The organizer is the Caboodles Objects of Desire Tray and it's perfect for nail products. I can't wait to surprise her with this!
Thursday, July 14, 2011
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Please visit my Facebook page, where I post additional pics and comments about makeup and other beauty products. Just do a search for Jen Monopoli, I'm currently the only one on FB. If you send me a friend request I'll accept!!
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Tony & Tina was founded in 1997 by a couple named Tony Gill and Cristina Bornstein. The line was partially inspired by Urban Decay and Hard Candy, but Tony and Tina's concept went beyond simply makeup. They described their products as “vibrational remedies” with herbal and color-based mood and health enhancing properties.
I sold this line back when I was a Sephora employee and I remember that its fanbase was drawn in not so much by the “therapeutic” properties as by the fun collection of glittery products. Among the bestsellers were an eye-safe loose glitter with an extensive selection of shades, glitter eye pencils, body shimmers and nail polish. My favorite product was Lash Dew, a bright blue gel-like gloss for eyelashes.
At the height of its popularity Tony & Tina did $10 million in annual sales. It sold in a number of luxury stores in the US, UK and Japan. Wella purchased a majority stake in 2002 then unceremoniously discontinued the brand in 2005.
Here are a few pics of the line. If you were a fan, I'd love to hear your memories of Tony & Tina and what your favorite products were! Your photos are welcome as well.
|Pencil Case Collection|
|All Star Gift Set|
|All Star Collection|
|Spring Nymph Eye Palette|
|Cosmic Lights Gift Set|
Saturday, July 9, 2011
Thursday, July 7, 2011
Sunday, July 3, 2011
For this crackled patriotic look I used:
- Sinful Colors in 101 Snow Me White
- Sally Hansen Crackle Overcoat in 05 Distressed Denim
- Sally Hansen Crackle Overcoat in 07 Cherry Smash
- Sally Hansen Hard as Wraps Topcoat
I missed my Nail of the Week post last week because my hand model Aryana was away on a camping trip! Happily, she's back, and to make up for lost time I created two different entries for this week's Nail of the Week. Here's the first:
- Sinful Colors in 101 Snow Me White
- Maybelline Express Finish in 170 Crimson
- Sally Hansen Hi-Definition Nail Color in 02 Blu
- Sally Hansen Hard as Wraps topcoat
Saturday, July 2, 2011
Here are the current top-selling makeup items as reported by 5 different websites:
|Covergirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm|
Covergirl NatureLuxe Gloss Balm in 245 Pinot ($5.99)
Glazewear Lip Gloss (sale price 2 for $5.99; reg $6)
Revolution Organics Freedom Glow Beauty Balm in Blushed ($34)
DiorShow Mascara ($24.50)
Naked Palette ($48)
|Bigelow Freedom Glow|
|Urban Decay Naked Eyeshadow Palette|